Disadvantages of IVF
All the blogs on this website are intended to answer your toughest questions and offer relevant doubts based on scientific studies.
Dr. Namita Kotia has been practicing infertility treatment at Aastha Fertility Care since 2010, and during this time, she has helped around 2000+ couples become parents through IVF treatment and also other assisted reproductive technology (ART) methods like ICSI, IUI, GIFT, etc. Dr. Namita provides her patients with the best possible care and treatment options.
For couples struggling with infertility, Aastha Fertility Center offers various services related to assisted reproductive technologies, including IVF. The centre’s holistic approach to IVF treatment addresses not only the physical aspects of fertility treatment but also the emotional and financial aspects, helping couples to achieve their dream of parenthood safely and effectively.
While In vitro fertilisation (IVF) has helped many couples conceive and have children, it is essential to recognise that IVF has its drawbacks. Potential disadvantages of IVF include physical, emotional, and financial challenges, which can have significant implications for couples considering this option. Fortunately, Aastha Fertility Center provides counselling services to help teams manage the emotional challenges of IVF, along with financial options to make treatment more accessible.
Book Free Online Confidential Consultation with Our Fertility ExpertSchedule A Confidential Call With An Expert
If you are considering IVF as a treatment option, we encourage you to contact Aastha Fertility Care in Jaipur to learn more about their comprehensive range of diagnostic and treatment services. The centre’s experienced team of Infertility specialists is committed to providing personalised care and support throughout your IVF journey, helping you to overcome any obstacles that may arise along the way.
Disadvantages of IVF
Though there are many technological advancements in the field, there remain significant drawbacks to the IVF procedure:
One of the main drawbacks of IVF is the cost of treatment. It is good to have a clear idea of the expense before proceeding with the treatment and to have your finances in order before beginning. IVF treatment is costly; the costs can quickly increase after paying for medication and blood tests. The cost of 1 cycle can range from Rs. 1 lakh.
IVF treatment is a highly stressful experience; it can be physically and emotionally demanding. Watching a loved one go through these intense experiences can be difficult for partners. IVF leads to increased depression, anxiety, and stress, which can impact a person’s self-esteem and confidence. This may particularly be your experience after a failed IVF cycle- making the IVF journey a difficult task.
Various IVF side effects and risks are involved, the most severe being ovarian hyper-stimulation syndrome (OHSS). This increases the chance that the baby is born prematurely and with less weight at birth. This has been linked to long-term health problems for the child. There is an increased probability of premature labour, miscarriage, need for caesarean, stillbirth, and infant health problems with multiple pregnancies. IVF fertility medications cause discomfort and pain for some patients.
The idea of selecting some embryos and discarding others may not seem very ethical to everybody. The destruction of human embryos questions the morality of the patients. The health risks to the mother and foetus are significant. Usually, the family and relatives do not support an IVF-born baby as they think it brings disgrace to their family.
Women who cannot conceive naturally are often looked down upon by society for their inability to give birth to a child. Another common perception about IVF is that most people perceive that couples who have babies through IVF using a sperm or egg donor are someone else’s and not their own. Some people even troll couples who choose IVF, while others believe IVF babies are unnatural. In backward countries like India, unconventional methods of pregnancy are frowned upon and thus need more acceptance.
How to Cope with the Disadvantages of IVF?
Couples undergoing IVF treatment may face various challenges, including emotional, physical, and financial difficulties. However, several strategies can help manage these challenges and improve the chances of a successful outcome.
- Emotional support can be beneficial in managing stress and anxiety associated with infertility and IVF. Couples can seek counselling or therapy to address dynamic challenges and build resilience.
- Self-care is essential during IVF treatment to manage physical demands. Getting enough rest, maintaining a healthy IVF diet chart, and regular exercise can help promote physical well-being.
- Staying informed about IVF treatment’s potential risks and benefits can help couples make informed decisions about their treatment options. This knowledge empowers couples and can alleviate some of the anxieties related to fertility treatment.
- A supportive network of family and friends can provide practical help and emotional support to couples undergoing IVF treatment. This can help ease the burden of the treatment and reduce stress levels.
- Exploring alternative treatment options like IUI or donor egg/sperm, with the guidance of a fertility specialist, can also be a viable option for couples considering IVF.
Overall, coping with the potential disadvantages of IVF treatment requires a multifaceted approach that includes emotional, physical, and practical strategies. By taking a proactive approach and seeking the support needed, couples can manage the challenges of IVF while increasing the chances of a successful outcome.
Advantages of IVF that Outweigh the Drawbacks
The journey of IVF treatment is challenging and complicated, but still, people opt for it as it brings them happiness. IVF has helped millions become parents, giving them the joy of bearing and nurturing a child. Despite its complexity and disadvantages, IVF is a beneficial method to overcome reproductive medical conditions such as blocked fallopian tubes and ovarian issues.
- IVF is an assisted reproductive technology with more positives than negatives.
- The ultimate advantage of IVF is achieving a successful pregnancy and a healthy baby. It has been used for a long time and has a safe track record, and the techniques have been revised constantly to create a safe and successful treatment.
- This technique also helps to combat male factor infertility through Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI). It is also beneficial for women who are 35 years old and above as their fertility has decreased, and they cannot conceive.
- The conception chances are exceptionally very high and result in a more uncomplicated pregnancy, and it has a lower probability of a miscarriage, hence protecting the embryo from being discarded.
- IVF can provide an excellent opportunity for the LGBTQ+ community and single women through donor eggs, sperm, and surrogacy, as it allows them to create a family of their own.
- Here, the embryos can also be checked on their inherited diseases and be cured, preventing single-gene disorders from being passed on to the child.
- It also allows patients to freeze excess embryos for the future through Frozen Embryo Transfers (FET) and helps in their future family planning.
IVF can make it a reality for people who would be unable to have a baby otherwise.
How Does Aastha Fertility Care Overcome the Problems?
Each patient has a different experience when it comes to IVF. At Aastha Fertility Care, we provide our patients with the best care. We customise and design our fertility treatments for the specific individual to increase the chances of a successful pregnancy.
The cost of the treatment is well-planned to make it affordable for as many people as possible. Using fewer or no drugs in natural and mild IVF cycles means the likelihood of developing unwanted risks is drastically decreased or eliminated, and stress levels are minimised. The possibility of side effects is taken very seriously here. We also focus on lowering the number of multiple births.
Our centre is home to all the renowned practitioners of IVF and other facilities of a gynaecologist, endocrinologist, etc. They all help the patient in every step of their fertility process and always keep the need and health of their patients as their top priority and then move forward.
Our well-versed team helps women of all ages attain their fertility goals.
Aastha Fertility Care is your best place if you are willing for proper and compassionate fertility care.
Leave a comment